From Dave Cottlehuber <d...@muse.net.nz>
Subject Re: Couchdb crashes on Windows
Date Sun, 03 Oct 2010 18:22:07 GMT
On 3 October 2010 00:20, Dave Cottlehuber <dave@muse.net.nz> wrote:
> On 2 October 2010 04:14, Peter Somers <petsomers@gmail.com> wrote:
>> Very nice work indeed!
>>
>> However, as I am no erlang programmer and we have a project that is going
>> live soon, what are the chances that this fix will result in a new windows
>> build that can be downloaded and installed soon?
>>
>> I don't want to push anyone, I just need some realistic time frame.
>> What is the conventional process in this case?
>>

>> Thank you all.
>>
>> Peter
>
> Hi Peter
>
> Cliff's pure erlang test now passes with Juhani's fix - yay - growing
> a file past the 4GB mark, and
> correctly appending on re-opening the file > 4GiB again.
>
> I can still get the original issue to recur as my couch grows past
> 4GiB it dies; logs
> at http://friendpaste.com/1n1HXAfpOYtpkRitzm5yby can some others
> please re-test & confirm?
>
> I still think we have 2 different bugs here. So please test carefully
> outside production env.
>
> Unofficial build of couchdb 1.0.1 + R14B + Juhani's fix are slowly
> uploading from New Zealand...
>
> https://s3.amazonaws.com/couchdb_release/setup-couchdb-1.0.1_otp_R14B_4GiB_fix.exe

> You can do your own builds pretty easily, both erlang & couchdb have
> pretty good info. I have more
> detailed manual steps here http://github.com/dch/glazier but it still
> has 2 bugs:
>    - R14B won't build on a 64bit platform - but R14A does
>    - vcredist_x86.exe isn't included for some reason in Erlang nor in CouchDB
>
> A *very* fast way to create blank large files on windows is
> http://live.sysinternals.com/contig.exe
>
> cheers
> Dave

Sorry to report - I tested my above couchdb release on 64 bit Windows
(win7 enterprise)
& the erlang installer fails silently again with SxS errors. Good news
is I've found both a
workaround and resolved my 2 bugs above. Basically there's a filthy hack of the
SxS manifests in ld.sh that can probably be removed when using the newer VS2008
compiler. I should be able to have a full rebuild by Monday evening -
sorry for the delay.

cheers
Dave