From Randall Leeds <randall.le...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Volume Test - 2 million documents
Date Wed, 13 Oct 2010 03:34:54 GMT
On Tue, Oct 12, 2010 at 20:23, Patrick Barnes <mrtrick@gmail.com> wrote:
> My apologies, I guess I was assuming it was any ddoc change, not a view
> change.
>
> I find though, that if I change or add one view, it does force a rebuild of
> *all* views in the ddoc. I know that views are built all at once, I guess
> they can't currently partially rebuild?

Correct. This is something I've argued against recently and have
drafted email outlining my reasons, but I'm gonna hold back on that
until I can actually write a little code in that direction. There are
a couple different options depending on how much we want to decouple
them, but it touches a lot of things in the code and is a conversation
for a thread all its own. There is no reason, going forward, why this
*must* be the behavior.

But, to return to the checksum issue. There is checksumming of views
going on. For this reason you can do nifty things like have a
"staging" version of your design document where you build new versions
of your views without replacing the old one. All you need to do is
create a design document in the same database with a different name.
When you later update the contents of your "production" design
document to match the indexes will already be in place.

-Randall