From Randall Leeds <randall.le...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [ANN] Unofficial RPMs for RHEL-5/CentOS-5 and derivatives
Date Tue, 12 Oct 2010 19:55:39 GMT
Hey Peter,

I've been packaging newer versions of CouchDB (sometimes with some
experimental patches) for Meebo for a while based on your source rpms.
Thanks for your great work!

I haven't looked at your newest RPMs, but I wanted to share my
modified init script which, last I checked, does a couple nice things
that yours doesn't. Maybe you can include my changes (after vetting
them for I am not an experienced RPM packager).

Here's the link:
http://gist.github.com/622787

In particular, it does two things.
1) Based on what I saw in thy MySQL package, stop() asks CouchDB to
quit and then checks every second (up to 60 seconds) to see if it's
shut down before forcibly killing the process. This avoids an issue
where restart could sometimes crash the new CouchDB process with
EADDRINUSE when it tries to bind the server socket by making sure that
the old CouchDB process is actually stopped before starting the new
one.

2) If the init script is a symlink it will be followed until a
matching /etc/sysconfig file is found (leaving the default environment
otherwise). This allows easy configuration of multiple CouchDB
instances on the same box by symlinking the init script and placing a
matching file in /etc/sysconfig to configure it.

I'd love your feedback! I really appreciate your packaging effort.

-Randall