From Dale Harvey <d...@arandomurl.com>
Subject Anonymous Access to Design Docs
Date Wed, 13 Oct 2010 11:59:50 GMT
Referring to https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/COUCHDB-912

Right now if you have a couchapp running in a private database, it is
impossible to sign up or worse, login without going through futon

Signups can be through a seperate couchapp, this is a massive burden on the
app developer as it requires maintaining awareness between the couchapps in
terms of replicating the application, sharing code between them both, and
knowing each others url / being able to switch between them within the app.

However if an unlogged user tries to visit their app without a cookie, they
are redirected towards futon which is unacceptable for most application
developers.

Having a flag in the config or on the design document that says anonymous
users can access only the design document are the easiest / most natural
solutions I can think of, for a web developer its natural to serve files to
an anonymous user but hold the data behind a login, There may be other ways
around this I havent thought of though

Suggestions / Comments? I plan on submitting a patch fairly soon if there
isnt a better solution.

Cheers
Dale