From Doug <douglas.lin...@gmail.com>
Subject https?
Date Fri, 29 Oct 2010 09:30:13 GMT
Hmm... Lets try that again..

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: "Doug" <douglas.linder@gmail.com>
Date: 29/10/2010 3:27 PM
Subject: replication for local user apps...
To: <user@couchdb.apache.org>

Hi,

I've got what seems like a simple couchdb question, but reading around I
haven't found any really helpful information about it.

Basically, how do you do securely use / replicate databases?

Everything happens over http, and I can't find anything about https and
couchdb working happily together.

The options as far as I can tell seem to be:

1) Local only.
- Create a local couchdb instance on local and server machines.
- Setup SSH tunnels between the machines and push the content through them
via replication.

2) Hide couchdb behind a firewall and talk to it via a https website.

3) There is no three.

??

I mean, I thought the great thing about couchdb was I could write a webapp
that runs entirely off couchdb, use it on the net, pull a copy of it onto my
laptop's copy of couch when I jump on a plane, and keep running, and sync it
all via replication when I get back into a wifi zone. ...but, I don't
understand how you can do any of that securely and privately.

Am I missing some really obvious configuration option to turn on https or
something?

~
Doug.