From Dave Cottlehuber <d...@muse.net.nz>
Subject Re: Embed CouchDB in Windows Application
Date Wed, 20 Oct 2010 09:45:49 GMT
On 20 October 2010 22:11, Ido Ran <ido.ran@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi,
> I have a Windows Application that currently work with J2EE server as backend
> via RESTful protocol.
> I am using Glassfish 3 as the J2EE container and have looked into the
> possibility to use Glassfish 3 embedded for local installation.
> The problem is I still have to use relational database like JavaDB so any
> changes to the schema are really hard to deploy.
>
> I would like to know if it is possible to use CouchDB as embedded database
> for my application.
> This question in
> StackOverflow<http://stackoverflow.com/questions/1161766/is-there-a-lightweight-embeddable-key-value-database-something-like-diet-couc>suggest
> using other alternatives but I hope there is a way to use CouchDB
> for both "enterprise" deployment as well as "local".
>
> Thank you,
> Ido

Short answer is "what's your use case"?

Embedded for me is "maintenance free", and this depends heavily on
your use case,
and your end users/environment in particular.

crash-safe CouchDB is a handy feature, the erlang VM can be bundled in
via scripts, or
run as a service, and with a little bit of work, could be deployed via
MSI as well, which
makes it remotely upgradeable.

Compaction might be the one thing that needs some care, or depending on how your
data is used/changed, it could be view growth management.

If your app needs/likes couch replication this might not be a problem at all.

Cheers
Dave