From Ido Ran <ido....@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Embed CouchDB in Windows Application
Date Wed, 20 Oct 2010 11:46:54 GMT
Hi, Thanks for the reply.

My use case is I have application which work in two (at least) different
environments.
1. enterprise, that is multiple users work on the same database.
2. local in which single user work on single machine.
3. I have not even though for now about mixing them, that is an enterprise
user go offline, do some work and return it changes to the enterprise
database due to the difficulty to replication in relational database.

My architecture of 3 tier: DB, J2EE service, client require me to install
database engine (I use Sql Server Express) and J2EE container (I use
Glassfish 3) on each local installation.
The truth is that the J2EE service does nothing more than be a RESTful
gateway to the database.

1. For the enterprise env I can setup CouchDB on the same server the
currently run the J2EE. On top of that it will be much easier to deploy
schema changes because there is no schema.

2. For the local user I am currently use ClickOnce to deploy my Client
Windows application, I would like to bundle CouchDB binaries as part of this
application and run CouchDB as embedded database. I guess I will have to
spawn the process of CouchDB myself when the application start and that is
all-right by me.

3. Now that I have CouchDB on both local and enterprise deployments I can
use CouchDB replication between them.

What do you think? Is that doable? Is that wise?

Thanks,
Ido