From scott <sc...@meshbrains.com>
Subject Replicating lots of large attachments
Date Sat, 30 Oct 2010 20:51:53 GMT
Hopefully a simple architecture question...

I have hundreds of laptop users that need to replicate hundreds of PDFs
with several hundred pages each.

For each PDF, I create a document with it as an inline attachment...
everything is fine.
If I later edit or add a field, maybe to many of the documents, the
entire document (or
documents) get replicated.

This discourages me from editing the meta info for each document as I
know it's
going to create a large replication task for such small updates.

Is it better to create (for each PDF), say a standalone attachment,
with minimal
fields (just enough to identify it). And then create another
associated document that
contains more rich meta information that may change quite a bit?
Smells a little
kludgy.

Or is there a better way to handle this?

Thanks a bunch...