From Randall Leeds <randall.le...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: get couchdb to startup with server
Date Thu, 02 Sep 2010 20:41:34 GMT
On Thu, Sep 2, 2010 at 13:19,  <whimsica@aol.com> wrote:

> So if my login name is userdan. The original install is in/opt
> And let's say the couchdb master admin is dan.
> What would I change these to from your code??
>
> Thanks
>

> sudo adduser --system \
>             --home $COUCHDB_PREFIX/var/lib/couchdb \
>             --no-create-home \
>             --shell /bin/bash \
>             --group --gecos \
>             "CouchDB Administrator" couchdb
>

> # ensure that our new user owns it's stuff
> sudo chown -R couchdb:couchdb $COUCHDB_PREFIX/{etc,var/lib,var/run,var/log}/couchdb
>

> sudo /etc/init.d/couchdb restart

It's up to you to decide what user you want to run couchdb as.
It's nice to run couchdb as its own user (couchdb) so that, for
example, it doesn't have permission to edit userdan's home directory.
If nothing on your system gives permission to couchdb *except* the
files couchdb has to touch, then couchdb is essentially locked into
the part of your filesystem that it actually needs and the damage
possible in the event of any security exploits will be minimized.

So, you could leave it as above. Or you could skip the adduser if you
already have userdan and put userdan:userdan in the chown command.

-Randall