From Henrik Skupin <hsku...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Filtering of view results
Date Mon, 13 Sep 2010 20:46:33 GMT
On Mon, Sep 13, 2010 at 12:14 AM, Dirkjan Ochtman <dirkjan@ochtman.nl>wrote:

> > I hope that is somehow possible.
>
> It's not, you need two different views.

This worries me a lot. Because I will never be able to filter on more than
one key at the same time. I don't want to create a dozen of different views
to handle this specific requirement.

What I really miss is a filter parameter which will be executed when
accessing a view and which will accept/deny b-tree entries depending on the
filter criteria. Here some examples:

viewName                                               No filtering
viewName?filter=[{}, {}, {}]                       No filtering
viewName?filter=["09/13/10", {}, {}]         Only return rows from Sep 13th
2010
viewName?filter=[{}, "4.0", {}]                  Only return rows for the
4.0 application branch
viewName?filter=[{}, {}, "Mac"]                Only return rows on Mac
viewName?filter=[{}, "4.0", "Mac"]           Only return rows for the 4.0
application branch on Mac

This thread is probably similar to the "missing join" thread we have right
now. But instead of having multiple views a single view should be totally
enough. All the information we have to query on should be part of the key,
so filtering on specific entries should be possible. Or is there a
limitation on the b-tree side?

For us it will be a hard requirement. If it can't be solved easily with
CouchDB, we probably have to switch to another backend storage. But I
wouldn't like to do that because Couchdb is impressive and I want to support
it.

--
Henrik Skupin
QA Engineer