From Dave Cottlehuber <d...@muse.net.nz>
Subject Re: Username is case-sensative
Date Fri, 17 Sep 2010 21:58:37 GMT
On 18 September 2010 08:06, Ido Ran <ido.ran@gmail.com> wrote:
> It is not just about iPhone capitalizing the first letter.
> I'm surround by people who talk Hebrew for the natural language so their
> computer have both Hebrew and English inputs.
> Some of the people have hard time change between languages so those who use
> Windows simply press the CapsLock key which make Windows write in capital
> English letters. I'm sure there are other cases where user might enter a
> username in different capitalization then the one they used when
> registering.
>
> I think it will be best to default for case-insensitive search for
> usernames.
>
> That is all.
>
> Ido
>
> On Fri, Sep 17, 2010 at 9:59 PM, Stephen Prater <stephenp@agrussell.com>wrote:
>
>> Just lowercase (or uppercase, if you like) your user names before you stick
>> 'em in the database or query for them.
>>
>> Case-insensitive docids are not efficient -   Because A and a are not the
>> same value, and you'd have to check for every permutation of capitAliZatION
>> to see if the docid was taken.
>>
>> stephen
>>

>> On Sep 17, 2010, at 2:45 PM, Ido Ran wrote:
>>
>>  I agree that the auto-shift is not that bright, but start patch the login
>>> form for every thing out there may get harder.
>>> Don't you think default to case-insensitive search will be better?
>>>
>>> Ido
>>>
>>> On Fri, Sep 17, 2010 at 9:21 PM, Chris Anderson <jchris@apache.org>
>>> wrote:

mmmmm bikeshed.

Case folding is an issue unique to latin script languages, and one
with several possible solutions especially when you layer unicode on
top. Should e-acute and e-grave both be identical to E capital, or
should that be E-acute and E-grave?

If you introduce case folding for usernames, which today CouchDB sees
simply as a normal database, then as jchris points out it needs to
appear elsewhere in the code - handlers, shows and lists, validation
functions.More complexity = mode code = more bugs. Case folding seems
simple until you need to write code to handle it.

https://apps01.domino.griffith.edu.au/help/help65_admin.nsf/89d3962efd85426f85256b870069c0aa/f67aeb7a98ebdda285256dff004af990?OpenDocument&Click=

I think CouchDB should remain case sensitive. This fits well with a
document-oriented DB, & avoids needing many workarounds in different
places for just 1 mobile platform - validation functions,shows, lists,
UUID checks - where would it end?

The 1 line iPhone form fix for evently gets my vote.

Cheers
Dave