From Tiago Freire <tiago.fre...@gmail.com>
Subject Best performing login implementation?
Date Mon, 06 Sep 2010 13:39:46 GMT
Hi all,

I am starting to work with a Tornado+Python+CouchBD backend for our company
system. We currently have an old and crufty Apache+PHP+PostgreSQL system,
which we want to move into something better.
While there's nothing wrong with the LAPP stack, the code base has many very
old parts, and is not very consistent, as it evolved through several web
technology iterations. It is too time-consuming from the maintenance
perspective. We want to scale it better, and the document-based paradigm
seems to fit our needs of storing flexible documentation better than SQL.

I want to start at the beginning, which are the logins and various
permission levels. About logins, I am thinking of having just
username+password tuples stored in one place, and the contact information
separated, to make it as fast as possible, as we may potentially have
several thousand login credentials. I am wondering about the best method for
implementing this.

1) Each username+login in a document.
2) One document for username+logins, each one in a separate property.
{username:password}
3) One document for username+logins, all in a single 'logins' array.
{logins: [{username:foo, password: bar}]}

I would like some insight on the performance implications of each of the
three options, if you have some.

If no one knows, a few directions on how to benchmark CouchDB performance
would be appreciated too.

Best regards

--
-----
Tiago Mikhael Pastorello Freire a.k.a. Brazilian Joe