From Paul Davis <paul.joseph.da...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: distributed map-reduce views
Date Mon, 20 Sep 2010 21:13:01 GMT
On Mon, Sep 20, 2010 at 5:01 PM, Robert Newson <robert.newson@gmail.com> wrote:
> A nice explanation. I've never quite known how to respond to people
> that, when I discuss CouchDB with them, say "why not use Hadoop?".
> Admittedly it's mostly because I'm trying to hold back a biting
> comment, since there's really no commonality besides the use of
> (distinct variants of) the Map/Reduce (family of) algorithm(s).
>
> B.

M/R := Map/Reduce

Generally, when I hear people comparing CouchDB M/R to Google M/R, I
remind them that Google M/R isn't real M/R. That generally shocks
people enough that they're able to reconsider the differences and how
the two things really aren't the same. Although if someone disagrees
with you because they read the Google white paper on M/R you should
feel free to make extended use of biting comments.

HTH,
Paul Davis