From Russell Branca <chewbra...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: ANN: CouchDB access via AMQP
Date Wed, 01 Sep 2010 18:20:28 GMT
Very interesting. Heroku is soon offering an AMQP solution. I'm not
familiar with using plugins with AMQP, I wonder if it would be
possible to integrate that with heroku? I'm intrigued by the idea of
being able to kick off requests from a local heroku instance into
AMQP, and then forward them off to a remote CouchDB instance. Been
looking at options for doing that. I just started watching your github
repo. I'll play around with it this week if I get a chance. Keep us
posted, looks very cool!

-Russell

On Mon, Aug 30, 2010 at 6:15 AM, Jon Brisbin <jon@jbrisbin.com> wrote:
> I've been working on a plugin for the RabbitMQ AMQP broker that relays messages from
the broker to HTTP REST APIs. I call it the "webhooks" plugin.

> I've been testing against CouchDB 1.0.1 and I'm able to bulk load/update/delete documents
as fast as the server will take them (which is pretty fast ;). I plan to have responses sent
back to AMQP reply queues, which means one could have fully-asynchronous access to CouchDB
via AMQP consumers/producers. Right now I'm using it to asynchronously update my CouchDB server
(comet will come into play here) but I suspect I'll add the ability to see the server response
by implementing a "ReplyTo" feature.

> It's written in Erlang and uses the lhttpc module for HTTP functions. It runs directly
inside the broker as a plugin. If anyone's interested in helping me with this, I'd love to
get some feedback/patches that make the CouchDB access easier and more robust. I've also got
some so more work to do to make it more configurable.

> Like the RabbitMQ source and other plugins (from which I drew significant inspiration),
this alpha plugin is MPL-licensed and available on Github:

> http://github.com/jbrisbin/rabbitmq-webhooks
>
> Normal caveats apply: this is still experimental, mostly untested code. It will likely
crash your broker if a bad error happens (URL is not responsive, bad reply codes, etc...).
I'm still working on making it more bullet-proof.