From Chris Anderson <jch...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Pruning a couchdb database
Date Tue, 28 Sep 2010 00:38:54 GMT
On Mon, Sep 27, 2010 at 8:36 AM, Simon Metson
<simonmetson@googlemail.com> wrote:
> Hi John,
>        How about having the date in the database name e.g:
>
> johns_database/Sept2010
> johns_database/Oct2010
>
> Pruning then becomes a case of dropping the database en masse, e.g. to kill
> all records in a certain time window.
>
> That said, pulling out a view and doing a bulk delete shouldn't be too slow.
> Also, don't forget to compact the database after you delete records from it!

For your use case, rotating databases is much better. Deletes still
linger in the database file (so they can replicate) so the case of
deleting old records won't reclaim 100% of the space. There is a purge
command for truly removing records, but I think the rotating db files
is much simpler.

Chris

--
Chris Anderson