From Randall Leeds <randall.le...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: CouchDB Compaction
Date Wed, 08 Sep 2010 02:30:10 GMT
Deletion on some filesystems (those without extents, such as ext3) can take
time. Recent versions of Couch (1.0.0+) rename files into a trash directory
(.delete I believe) before deleting them. If they do not delete immediately,
there may be a reference counting bug where the file descriptor is not
destroyed and the OS maintains a handle to the file. More likely is that the
delete is happening slowly in the background.

If this deletion kills couchdb that is a problem. If you have a relevant log
file from just before the crash that does not contain sensitive information
please share it. If it does contain sensitive information, let us know and a
committer can get in touch to look at it privately.

-Randall