From whims...@aol.com
Subject Re: get couchdb to startup with server
Date Wed, 01 Sep 2010 01:26:35 GMT
Thanks for the detailed startup instructions.

What happened is that another version of couch was running at the same time.
Someone from the IRC took the time to help me kill that process and then it worked.
It was still running even after throwing away all the files.

I want couchdb to run from login or restart -- in case a power outage or something
and the server has to restart itself.
Everything else will start back up -- apache, curl, mysql, everything except couchdb.

Thanks

Dan

-----Original Message-----
From: Dave Cottlehuber <dave@muse.net.nz>
To: user@couchdb.apache.org
Sent: Tue, Aug 31, 2010 6:05 pm
Subject: Re: get couchdb to startup with server

Hi Dan

distro is linux speak for version of OS - e.g. desktop ubuntu 10.04

from CD, or ubuntu 10.04 server on Amazon EC2.

You've got 2 separate issues here so let's tackle these 1 by 1. First

up is getting the self-contained couch folder running as your normal

user - not as root. this is both best practice & simpler normally.

the first error is "{{badmatch,{error,eacces}}," which confused me too

when I first started couching. This is a simple access denied one,

probably the ini files causing this.

I whipped up a desktop ubuntu & pulled down the installer from see

what's going on & it worked perfectly for me (nice one Jason@) but I

think this is just permissions issues & path stuff. It is probably

easier to start from scratch so let's do that.

* delete any existing folder called /home/danuser/couchdb-1.0.1

* download either the 32 or 64-bit version as appropriate from

http://www.couch.io/get to your desktop. I'm 64-bit ubuntu 10.04 so

this was http://dl.couchone.com/dl/26f246a0fe23d6a53d5326713308f43c/install-couchdb-1.0.1_rel1-linux-x64.bin

for me.

* make it executable by right-clicking it, select "properties" then

the permissions tab, and tick the "execute" box, then click close.

* open up a terminal

* type the following, followed by a tab to complete the filename:

    ~/Desktop/install-couch

* this should expand into ~/Desktop/install-couchdb-1.0.1_rel1-linux-x64.bin

* press enter to run the installer

* accept the default location which should be

/home/danuser/couchdb-1.0.1 & finish the install wizard

* double-click couchdb & tell it to run in a terminal

* you should get the "Apache CouchDB has started. Time to relax."

message, and can now go to your browser for the futon interface at

http://127.0.0.1:5984/_utils

How do you get on with this?

If you have any issues send back the output from the following

commands in your terminal:

cd ~

uname -a

ls -ld couch*

ls -lR couchdb-1.0.1/var

ls -lR couchdb-1.0.1/etc

& any errors from the terminal windows, or anything in

~/couchdb-1.0.1/var/log/couchdb/

For your next question "how do I run CouchDB at startup" do you mean

when you login, or all the time in the background? The latter is

probably best being built from source, & doing a proper install. I'll

have a fiddle with this in the next few days & get some simple steps

together unless somebody has a better idea.

cheers

Dave