From Heiko Schaefer <hschae...@fto.de>
Subject Efficient couchdb queries with explicitly specified keyset of >1000 IDs?
Date Wed, 29 Sep 2010 14:27:57 GMT
Hello Couchdb-User-List,

I'm building a little family of REST-services with couchdb over the past
months and have made a lot of progress. It's a great experience to get
to know and use couchdb. Right now I'm trying to figure out how to
implement a new requirement - and I feel a little lost.

Here's what I am considering, and would like to know if it sounds at all
feasible:

I expect to have on the order of 100.000 documents in my couchdb, very
soon. But an (independent and external) service may define groups of
documents (a few thousand documents being one group). I'd like to be
able do searches (query couchdb views) on just the subset of documents
that are in one group.
I'm not very keen to mark my documents themselves as members of a group,
if it can be at all avoided. So I thought maybe I can make queries that
explicitly list the relevant few thousand couch IDs in queries.

Example use-case:

There are 100.000 documents in the couchdb. An externally supplied list
specifies a subset of 5.000 IDs.
I'd like to efficiently query a view, but only considering the documents
within this subset of 5.000 IDs. Then I would like to further narrow
down these results by other keys.
[The IDs would probably not map 1:1 onto the couchdb "_id", but rather
onto another field (or two) of the documents]

Would that be as mad (and inefficient) as it sounds? Is there any other
way to achieve my objectives with couchdb that I might be missing?

Sorry if my question is not worded properly or clearly - I don't feel
fluent in the couchdb terminology and way of thinking yet.
Thanks in advance for any help and pointers.

cheers,
:) Heiko