From Paul Hirst <paul.hi...@sophos.com>
Subject MD5 collisions
Date Thu, 23 Sep 2010 07:44:43 GMT
Hi,

There was a previous thread about exposing the MD5 of attachments and
this got me thinking.

Since MD5 is 'broken' (ie two different files can be generated with the
same MD5 hash) I have a few of questions.

      * Does this actually break couchdb? Ie would it be impossible to
        upload two different attachments with the same MD5?
              * To the same document?
              * To different documents?
      * Are there any other implications? Would replication get
        confused?
      * Has anyone considered switching to a stronger checksum?

This isn't just a theoretical problem to me. I would genuinely like to
store two files in couchdb which have the same MD5.

Sophos Plc, The Pentagon, Abingdon Science Park, Abingdon, OX14 3YP, United Kingdom.
Company Reg No 2096520. VAT Reg No GB 348 3873 20.