From Noah Slater <nsla...@apache.org>
Subject Re: couchdb on OS X asks for user/password when using curl
Date Mon, 16 Aug 2010 11:10:44 GMT
I would use telnet to examine the situation.

Fire up a console, and do something similar to this:

$ telnet 127.0.0.1 5984
Trying 127.0.0.1...
Connected to localhost.
Escape character is '^]'.
GET / HTTP/1.1

Make sure to press enter twice when you're done with "GET / HTTP/1.1" and post back what you
see.

and can connect to via the web browser (http://127.0.0.1:5984/). I got the expected result:
>> "{"couchdb":"Welcome","version":"1.0.0"}"
>>
>> But when I try to connect via curl: " curl http://127.0.0.1:5984"  curl asks me:
"Enter host password for user 'myusername'". Why? I did not configure any authentication.
What would the right user/pasword combination be?

> I've never seen this before. When you go to Futon, does the lower-right hand corner say
you are in Admin Party? If so, this really shouldn't be happening and I'd start to investigate
the curl side of the equation.