From Jason Smith <...@couch.io>
Subject Re: removing / uninstalling default CouchDB on Ubuntu
Date Tue, 10 Aug 2010 06:28:52 GMT
On Mon, Aug 9, 2010 at 04:48, Brian Chamberlain <blchamberlain@gmail.com>wrote:

> How can I test it? I'd like to. I've spent the last two days struggling to
> get couchDB on my new Ubuntu Desktop (Lucid) box. I didn't think to
> uninstall the one for Ubuntu one. Was hoping an install of the latest trunk
> in usr local would be isolated enough. Shouldn't it be?

Build CouchDB now supports building arbitrary Git tags/branches/commits from
any CouchDB repository.

    rake git='git://git.apache.org/couchdb.git trunk'

Build CouchDB is an odd beast and a new project however I maintain it daily
and I depend on it for both of my primary roles at Couchio: hosting and the
Linux installers.

http://github.com/jhs/build-couchdb

That said, Build CouchDB solves a different problem than what distribution
packages solve. The primary reason to use a more deeply-integrated .deb
package is that CouchDB dependencies such as Erlang, ICU, Spidermonkey, and
OpenSSL would all be upgraded transparently in the event of a bug or
security issue. Build CouchDB effectively embeds its own version of all
those for convenience.

--
Jason Smith
Couchio Hosting