From Victor Stan <victor.s...@gmail.com>
Subject CouchDB Huh! What is it good for?
Date Wed, 11 Aug 2010 17:43:45 GMT
So in going through the CouchDB book, and playing a bit more with it,
as well as thinking about the needs of my own projects I came to
realize that perhaps there are some things that I need to better
understand or that couch db may not be able to handle because of it's
inherent nature. I will like it of you folks helped me shed some light
on these discoveries/opinions...

The way I see it now, Couch DB is a really good platform for creating
highly scalable apps that are restricted to the data in the database,
and whatever JavaScript can do in a web browser. This means that Couch
DB can do anything that is implemented in a web browser like HTML,
CSS, SVG, Web3D/webGL(in the future/nightly builds) and whatever
documents exist in the database.

However, what CouchDB can't handle is anything that needs to be
computed, which relies on specific libraries, outside the scope of
CouchDB itself, such as for example, image processing, video/audio
processing/encoding, cryptography(although maybe some js options
exist)

This means that CouchDB can excell at information and data that is
stored exactly in the way that it is meant to be displayed (if it is
not computed on the fly, or text) but can't handle any 'heavy'
computation on binary data. This would limit the extend that CouchApp
can be seen as a true 'application' development platform, to the
extent that it is pretty much limited to dealing with database
introspection, input/output, but no complex computation (that is
beyond map/reduce)...

How much of that is right/wrong?

I appreciate all enlightening information from you!

Victor Stan