From Gordon Leland Hempton <>
Subject Re: View Building Grinds System to Halt
Date Wed, 04 Aug 2010 23:07:27 GMT
After looking at the logs, it looks pretty bad:

[Wed, 04 Aug 2010 22:57:28 GMT] [info] [<0.12883.0>] - - 'GET'

[Wed, 04 Aug 2010 22:57:52 GMT] [error] [emulator] Error in process
<0.12957.0> with exit value: {badarg,[{erlang,binary_to_term,[<<1885695232

Anyone know where to start?

I am running Ubuntu 10.04 server with couchdb 1.0 installed from source. I
have made sure the xulrunner settings are correct.

On Wed, Aug 4, 2010 at 12:18 PM, Gordon Leland Hempton

> I am working with a database of ~10 mil docs and 30GB size. I am trying to
> build a view consisting of a single field as the key and a null document.
> After creating the view and trying to access it, the couchdb beam.smp
> command eventually goes up to 12.3GB virtual memory and uses 3.7GB of
> physical memory. Memory is clearly the bottleneck as the CPU usage is around
> 5-15%. My system only has 4GB of memory so naturally all this paging is
> slowing everything down to a crawl.
> After a few minutes this usage will go back down, but it will get to the
> same levels every time I access the view (which is still building and has
> been for 12 hours).
> Is this normal? How can I improve this?
> --
> Gordon L. Hempton