From Alan Mock <alan.m...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: File system data representation
Date Mon, 16 Aug 2010 05:21:29 GMT
On Aug 15, 2010, at 2:32 PM, Gregory Tappero wrote:

> Hello couchers,
>
> I was looking in a way to build S3 like  with couchdb.
>
> - buckets and files
> - sharing between users
> - update/move folders in buckets
>
> Using a separate doc for Each File with the pathj of the file in json
> seemed  like a good plan. We Can easily lits files and folders
> children of a given path when emiting on each /foo/ part of the path
> parameter.
> Sharing is also solved by creating sharing doc for a given path and
> user using pattern matching we can find out if a file is accessible to
> a user. /foo/bar matches /foo/ so Bob is allowed to see bar.
>
> For thé move folders action however i see.no other  solution t han
> performing an update of path for all docs touched by the move
> operation.  / foo/bar and foo/bar/a plus sharings will need to be
> changed if foo become 'bizz', quite inneficient.
>
> Do you see some other solutions ?

I don't know how closely you want to mimic S3 or if you're just using it as an example, but
S3 is a key-value store which means it has no folders.  It allows / as part of a key so that
you can use it's prefix function to allow listing of keys like they were in a folder, but
that's as much folder support as it provides.  If you're using S3 and it works then maybe
copying it's functionality more closely would be easier to implement.

Alan