From whims...@aol.com
Subject Re: can't upgrade from .10 to .11
Date Fri, 13 Aug 2010 19:44:53 GMT

 Okay I installed it. Couchdb 1.0 now exists in the user/home folder
but how do I start it.
And how does this version work with my existing databases in the other version
which is stored somewhere else

Thanks

Dan

-----Original Message-----
From: J Chris Anderson <jchris@apache.org>
To: user@couchdb.apache.org
Sent: Fri, Aug 13, 2010 12:04 pm
Subject: Re: can't upgrade from .10 to .11

On Aug 13, 2010, at 12:00 PM, whimsica@aol.com wrote:

> I can install 1.0 from a package .bin but it tries to install in myname/home.

it's ok to install there if you are just testing / learning. when you get to

install for production you can take the next step.

also, if you want to avoid dealing with any of this, you can get a free hosted

couch also at that URL http://couch.io/get

> Then what would that mean?

> Plus 1.0 has problems anyway right?

that package has the configuration set so you won't have the 1.0 bug.

> So where would I find good instructions for source install on ubuntu. I hear

that it is very difficult and I've seen

> multiple procedures all over the web with multiple caveats. Could you direct

me to

> what I need?

> I don't know what a symlink is so I would need to read up on that too.

> I've only been using linux for about a week.

> Thanks,

> Dan

>>> localhost:5984/_utils

>>> curl http://127.0.0.1:5984/

>>> gives back

>>> couchdb welcome version .0.10.0

>>> So what do I try next.

>>> Do I have to restart the computer?

>>> Thanks,

>>> Dan

use

>>> its own database files, instead of overwriting your old ones.

>>> If, however, you want to install from source, then you should check out the

>>> README files in the tarball you downloaded. Google around for tutorials on

> how

>>> to install CouchDB from source on Ubuntu. There are plenty, including the

one