From whims...@aol.com
Subject Re: can't upgrade from .10 to .11
Date Fri, 13 Aug 2010 19:02:18 GMT
I got that to work by changing some x thing. But then it was going to install in myusername/home
so I wasn't sure what the implications of that would be so I didn't install it.
It sounded like I would have had two versions of couch running.

Should I try that?
Also what about the 1.0 bug?

Which way should I proceed?

Thanks,
Dan

-----Original Message-----
From: J Chris Anderson <jchris@apache.org>
To: user@couchdb.apache.org
Sent: Fri, Aug 13, 2010 11:59 am
Subject: Re: can't upgrade from .10 to .11

On Aug 13, 2010, at 11:53 AM, Randall Leeds wrote:

> The easiest way to upgrade on Ubuntu is to follow the source install

> procedure and leave the system-wide couchdb intact.

> The system couchdb will not clash because the source install goes to

> /usr/local by default.

> Then just replace the /etc/init.d/couchdb with a symlink to

> /usr/loca/etc/init.d/couchdb and it will start you new version of

> couch.

There is also an ubuntu installer here which will not disturb the system

CouchDB.

http://www.couch.io/get

Was it you who mentioned it not working with double-click? I'm not sure (don't

have an ubuntu handy) but I bet you run it from the terminal it will work.

Chris

> On Fri, Aug 13, 2010 at 11:48,  <whimsica@aol.com> wrote:

>>  Just Missed you on irc. on irc one person suggested install instead of

upgrade that didn't work.

>> Another wanted me to grep everything (not sure what that means) but it

returned that most

>> packages were .0.10.0 then ..

>> people said. "It won't be easy to upgrade" and that's where it left off.

>> So I'm stuck still if you have some time.

>> Thanks,

>> Dan

>>  apt-get upgrade couchdb

>>> localhost:5984/_utils

>>> curl http://127.0.0.1:5984/

>>> gives back

>>> couchdb welcome version .0.10.0

>>> So what do I try next.

>>> Do I have to restart the computer?

>>> Thanks,

>>> Dan

use

>>> its own database files, instead of overwriting your old ones.

>>> If, however, you want to install from source, then you should check out the

>>> README files in the tarball you downloaded. Google around for tutorials on

how

>>> to install CouchDB from source on Ubuntu. There are plenty, including the

one

>>> wrote for the CouchDB book! If you have any specific problems getting a

source