From Sebastian Cohnen <sebastiancoh...@googlemail.com>
Subject Re: confused about authentication in php vs couchdb
Date Sun, 15 Aug 2010 14:40:56 GMT
Hey Dan,

I just wanted to note that CouchDB does only provide per database reader ACL. So you need
to have one database per user in order to protect a users content from unauthorized access
(remember any user with read access can read ALL documents in the particular database).

and btw: AFAIK jQuery is only used for the XHR stuff, but jQuery is a very nice library, well
maintained and successfully used by many people.

Best

Sebastian

On 14.08.2010, at 20:18, whimsica@aol.com wrote:

> Okay. So if you look at netflix or other sites they all have standard behaviors.
> Login, Signup, Forgot Password, Remember me on this computer.
>
> I am building two sites right now. One that allows users to track their nutrition, and
another which allows them
> to edit audio for video proects -- two separate projects and I am going to try to build
them with couchdb because
> it is easy to understand so far.
>
> The way netflix works is fine.  If they try to access a page they are not authorized
to use then it defaults back to the sign-up page.
> I'm not sure how this is done.
>
> If they are logged in they can enter and save new data and view their data.
>
> So those are the features I need to build these projects with couchdb instead of php
and mysql. I would prefer not to use the jquery libraries because I really don't want to rely
on external libraries with pages and pages of linked code that I don't understand.

> I am an experienced javascript programmer and work with a few php/mysql guys but I am
tired of relying on them. I am just learning about servers and databases. So far I have setup
a linux server and am successfully using couchdb with the help of a few books and the wiki
and the folks on this mailing list.  But, I seem to be stuck on the authentication issues.
I would just like to see a non jquery version of an html page that does all this or a tutorial.