From 7zark7 <7za...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: CouchDB Huh! What is it good for?
Date Thu, 12 Aug 2010 06:23:13 GMT
Just piggy-backing on what others have said:

Where CouchDB is really great in my experience is for 2 or 3-tiered webapps:

You can replace the data-tier's REST interface, app server, and
relational DB all with CouchDB, and you pick up a very scalable and
distributable system to boot.

But in many applications you will need something "in front of" CDB to do
additional business logic and processing, e.g. Java webapps, RoR, etc.

Where it gets cool/confusing is that you can do a lot in the
web-tier/client via CouchApps hosted directly within CouchDB.  You can
solve a surprising number of needs with just CouchApps, but it's not a
full replacement for other type app servers IMHO.

However I'd try not to confuse CouchDB as merely the "app server for
CouchApps" - it would still be great as just a DB, even without couchapps!

Hope this helps.