From Adam Kocoloski <>
Subject Re: Data loss
Date Sat, 07 Aug 2010 23:35:22 GMT
Good sleuthing guys, and my apologies for letting this through.  Randall, your patch in COUCHDB-794
was actually fine, it was my reworking of it that caused this serious bug.

With respect to that gist 513282, I think it would be better to return Db#db{waiting_delayed_commit=nil}
when the headers match instead of moving the cancel_timer() command as you did.  After all,
we did perform the check here -- it was just that nothing needed to be committed.

On Aug 7, 2010, at 6:55 PM, Damien Katz wrote:

> Yes, I think it requires 2 conflicting writes in row, because it needs to trigger the
delayed_commit timer without actually having anything to commit, so the header never changes.
> Try to reproduce this and add a test case.
> -Damien
> On Aug 7, 2010, at 3:47 PM, Randall Leeds wrote:
>> I think you may be right, Damien.
>> If ever a write happens that only contains conflicts while waiting for
>> a delayed commit message we might still be cancelling the timer. Is
>> this what you're thinking? This would be the fix:
>> On Sat, Aug 7, 2010 at 15:42, Damien Katz <> wrote:
>>> I think the problem might be that 2 conflicting write attempts in row can leave
the #db.waiting_delayed_commit set but the timer has been cancelled. One that happens, the
header may never be written, as it always thinks a delayed commit will fire soon.
>>> -Damien

View raw message