From J Chris Anderson <jch...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Scala view server?
Date Sat, 21 Aug 2010 23:36:51 GMT

On Aug 21, 2010, at 6:08 AM, Jon Brisbin wrote:

> On Aug 20, 2010, at 6:21 PM, Kenny Stone wrote:
>
>> Couldn't you leverage the hovercraft API with JInterface pretty easily?
>
> Wasn't aware of it but read through the README. It seems to be missing some pretty important
functionality (like views).

you shouldn't use Hovercraft unless you've already written your application in Erlang using
the REST API and need to make very specific changes to your interactions with the database.

most people will be best off pretending Hovercraft doesn't exist.

>> I'm not sure why you would want to use the JVM when you have a perfectly
>> capable erlang vm.  Could you explain your use case to me?  I'm curious.
>

> Because I'm not an Erlang programmer. I'm not much of a Scala programmer, either, but
I know Java well enough to do fairly intricate things.

> I could probably learn to leverage Erlang but I can't learn a new language for every
tool I want to use. It doesn't make a lot of sense to me to write all the application layers
in different languages. That makes it very, very difficult for the person(s) coming after
me.