From Michael Beam <mikeb...@mac.com>
Subject Appropriate use of batch=ok?
Date Mon, 02 Aug 2010 18:03:35 GMT
Hi All,

CouchDB is used throughout an application that I work on, and I was thinking of using it for
a new implementation of an old feature. The feature involves other applications reporting
progress of "jobs" to a progress DB via documents that look like:

{
  "_id":"a8baaee7963b4ee5893f0120514c4294",
  "_rev":"35-8735bcf3c66945932acb4d573166f741",
  "progress":0.87
}

Since there may be potentially hundreds of processes updating their progress docs relatively
frequently (say, one update every 10 seconds, maybe longer, maybe much longer) I figured this
would be an ideal use case for batch=ok in the PUT request that applications use to update
their job's progress to the database. However, I discovered that the rev is not returned (which
makes sense), which  means that for an app to update it's progress doc, it needs to get the
rev through a separate HEAD request.

In terms of overall load on the server, is anything gained by doing lots of updates via HEAD/PUT-batch=ok
versus a standard PUT?  Or, am I missing some other relevant aspect of Couch in my analysis
of the problem?

Thanks in advance,

Mike