From Sam Bisbee <...@sbisbee.com>
Subject Re: confused about authentication in php vs couchdb
Date Sat, 14 Aug 2010 17:39:30 GMT
On Fri, Aug 13, 2010 at 11:06:47PM -0400, whimsica@aol.com wrote:
> How do you do the sort of authentication that happens in php mysql with couchdb?

As you can see from Chris's reply, there is a lot of things that you can do
with auth and couchdb. The most basic set up is creating accounts and using
HTTP Basic authentication.

> I sort of understand how php authentication works sort of...you can
> dynamically write pages depending on the credentials of a user. The
> credentials are checked against the mysql database and then stored in php
> somehow

What are you using MySQL for in your environment?

> Using HTTP apache authentication I can hide certain webpages from certain
> users unless their credentials are sent each time using some mechanism.  I
> understand how to do this in php.

You can do this same thing in your Apache config, your CouchDB config, your PHP
code, or all three if you're crazy enough.

I think it would be helpful if you gave us an idea of what you're building and
your application's environment, so that we can give you more targeted guidance.

Cheers,

--
Sam Bisbee
www.sbisbee.com