From J Chris Anderson <jch...@apache.org>
Subject Re: external handlers are not in sync with commits
Date Tue, 27 Jul 2010 21:37:07 GMT

On Jul 27, 2010, at 2:30 PM, Norman Barker wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I have written couchdb-clucene
> (http://github.com/normanb/couchdb-clucene) and am doing a lot of
> testing with heavy datasets where I am sending a bulk doc request with
> 10 docs at a time, a couple of these every second for a couple of
> minutes.
>
> Very quickly couchdb backs up and hogs the cpu since the database
> commit and return doesn't wait for an external handler to do its job.
> The model of fire and forget is fine and I like it, very similar to
> JMS, however since the external process is a singleton it has to be
> very quick to keep up with load or the system slowly backs up.
>
> Is there a way to either define a pool of externals, or to change the
> default behaviour from fire and forget?

Yes, but involves feature development for CouchDB. Essentially we need the externals protocol
to be non-blocking. There is a thread on dev@ that touches on this. I'm not sure who wants
to own making the patch, but the technical requirements are pretty well known.

Thank you for working on something so awesome!

Chris