From Russell Branca <chewbra...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: my 1.0 installation on ubuntu lucid fails to start
Date Mon, 19 Jul 2010 21:07:57 GMT
I have run into some similar issues, mostly relating to permissions.
You need to make sure that all of the folders used by Couch DB are
owned by couchdb and preferably with group couchdb. Try running:

for dir in `whereis couchdb | sed 's/couchdb: //'`; do ls -ld $dir; done

That will show the directory permissions for the Couch DB directories,
which should show up as couchdb:couchdb.

One thing that script misses is the couchdb folders in
/usr/local/var/*/couchdb. There are three additional couchdb folders,
in lib/ log/ and run/ that I had to make sure had the appropriate
permissions as well. To check those folders run:

 ls -ld /usr/local/var/*/couchdb/

You should see something like:

drwxr-xr-x 8 couchdb couchdb 4096 2010-07-16 19:33 /usr/local/var/lib/couchdb/
drwxr-xr-x 2 couchdb couchdb 4096 2010-07-10 08:58 /usr/local/var/log/couchdb/
drwxr-xr-x 2 couchdb couchdb 4096 2010-07-10 08:55 /usr/local/var/run/couchdb/

If any folders aren't owned by couchdb you need to do a sudo chown -R
couchdb: /path/to/couchdb.

I had to change permissions on those folders when I did an install
from source for debian lenny, and the output of those commands are
show from my Lucid box running Couch DB 1.0. Before setting
permissions I was getting the same curl host down error, afterwards
all is working well. Let me know if that helps.

-Russell