From Avi Flax <a...@arc90.com>
Subject Re: CouchDB brand identity and design of couchdb.apache.org
Date Mon, 12 Jul 2010 18:20:18 GMT
On Mon, Jul 12, 2010 at 06:52, Jan Lehnardt <jan@apache.org> wrote:

> Very much +1 on all Noah said.

Ditto

> To keep things moving, I'd be happy to volunteer to play benevolent dictator for the
site and work with proper designer and community input.

+1!

On Mon, Jul 12, 2010 at 08:52, afters <afters.mail@gmail.com> wrote:

> I think your main goal here is to figure out what messages the website is
> intended to send, and to what audiences. As for the design: form follows
> function.

100% agree. That's why this discussion is worth having, and it's not
primarily about design. It's now primarily about what information we
want to convey to what people. You could say this is information
design, but in this case it's OK for at least a discussion to inform
Jan for when he makes a call. The visual design is the least important
aspect of all this.

On Mon, Jul 12, 2010 at 13:57, Mikeal Rogers <mikeal.rogers@gmail.com> wrote:

> CouchDB doesn't just serve JSON, it serves *any* content-type you set in an
> attachment and with list and show it can even generate HTML and XML
> resources.
>
> This is why I just wanted to have "HTTP" without a specific content-type.

Great point!

However, JSON is an important part of Couch's story. I agree that we
shouldn't lose the fact that Couch can store and serve up any format
of data, but we also need to make clear all of the advantages of using
JSON for structured data.