From David Coallier <dav...@php.net>
Subject Re: CouchDB brand identity and design of couchdb.apache.org
Date Sun, 11 Jul 2010 22:30:19 GMT
Hey everyone,

On 11 July 2010 22:19, Filipe David Manana <fdmanana@apache.org> wrote:
> On Sun, Jul 11, 2010 at 9:54 PM, Avi Flax <avif@arc90.com> wrote:
>
>> On Sun, Jul 11, 2010 at 16:47, Noah Slater <nslater@apache.org> wrote:
>>
>> Would it be worth trying keeping the names of those various
>> technologies, but organizing them in a neater, simpler, cleaner way?
>> AKA not a word cloud?
>>

> Thinking better, having only names of programming languages (Perl, Ruby,
> etc) and platforms (.NET, Java, etc) might give the wrong idea that Apache
> CouchDB provides libraries for all those languages and platforms.  All the
> existing libraries are third party.

Here are some scribbles I've done on Friday and some things (From
crazy to boring) that I've thought of and I'm starting to learn
towards the utterly simple graph.

Anyways:

1) Hand scribble in notebook:
http://david.couchone.com/images/65a917c2a53e7f5f70ad500015001277/couch-2.jpg

2) Same as above with legend:
http://david.couchone.com/images/65a917c2a53e7f5f70ad500015001277/couch-3-legend.jpg

Those two diagrams present some flaws. They are horizontal diagrams
where they should be horizontal to fit on the couch page.

Here are some much simpler images and how they'd look if on the site.

3) Diagram: http://david.couchone.com/images/65a917c2a53e7f5f70ad500015001277/couch-4-gfl.png
Look on CouchDB:
http://skitch.com/davidcoallier/dm4hh/apache-couchdb-the-couchdb-project

4) Even simpler diagram with less arrows:
http://david.couchone.com/images/65a917c2a53e7f5f70ad500015001277/couch-5-gfl.png
and how it'd look on CouchDB's website:
http://skitch.com/davidcoallier/dm466/apache-couchdb-the-couchdb-project

I'm not very thrilled by any of them even though I like the third one
(3) but I hope this can give some people some better ideas :)

--
David Coallier