From Ryan Zezeski <rzeze...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: text/csv vs. application/octet-stream
Date Tue, 13 Jul 2010 01:18:48 GMT

> Please do! The wiki requires a user account to prevent spam, but aside from
> that there shouldn't be any roadblocks.
>
> Thanks,
> Chris

I feel weird just adding to the wiki without someone's approval seeing that
I'm hardly acquainted with CouchDB.  Here's my stab at it.  If I get no
replies by tomorrow I'll add it to the wiki as is.

=== Compression of Attachments ===
As of version 0.11, CouchDB, by default, will automatically compress certain
attachment types.  That is, based on the Content-Type header of the request
CouchDB may perform compression of the data.  This is done to reduce the
amount of data being shuffled around during replication, and in most cases
it's probably what you want.  However, if uploading large files (e.g. a 200M
CSV) you may want to tweak this configuration in order to avoid compression
and therefore reduce the network latency of the request.

This setting can be found in the attachments section of the configuration.

-Ryan