From Fink Mark <m...@mark-fink.de>
Subject Re: question on CouchDB views: how to use a query sting (formula) in the view
Date Tue, 27 Jul 2010 19:45:33 GMT
> if you have a list of needed formulas ahead of time you could run them each
> in the view and emit them under keys, so for each doc you can look up by
> key, the forumula you'd like.
>
> so keys would be like emit([doc._id, formul_name], formula_value)
>
> I'm thinking you don't want to do this.

I think that is a solution for what I was talking about. What I can not
understand so far is why I need the formulas ahead of time. Don't you think
I can run them when a new formula is introduced to the system? That would
make the whole thing a little bit more interactive.

I think the show and list functionality is more for markup related use
cases. Of cause I also want the Reduce functionality to calculate min, max,
avg, etc. for new formulas y1, y2, .... Therefore the view would be the
right place to implement the formulas.

A little bit of topic but is there a JSON, RESTful data store available
which supports queries? I am into data analysis and naturally the queries
are defined by the end user and not by the system administrator. I am a
little disappointed of CouchDB because I often read that it is particularly
well suited for data analysis.

Best Regards
Mark