From Robert Newson <>
Subject Re: How to monitor continuous replication status?
Date Mon, 05 Jul 2010 13:53:56 GMT
Continuous replication tasks remain in _active_tasks until they are
cancelled or fail (for example, by the remote end crashing).

You can grep the front of the "task" string to match it to the
returned _local_id or infer it from from the rest of the string. E.g,

curl -X PUT http://localhost:5984/_replicate -d

If you poll /_active_tasks, you can see it's still alive;

curl http://localhost:5984/_active_tasks
[{"type":"Replication","task":"56a810: db1 ->

I don't think you can get the timestamp for when couchdb last started,
but I think the per-db "instance_start_time" is probably fine, since I
believe it's used in finding replication checkpoints;

curl http://localhost:5984/db2
{"db_name":"db2" .... ,"instance_start_time":"1278337744957334"....}

I believe there's an effort to persistent continuous replication tasks
so that they are restarted if they fail, so hopefully the answers to
these questions have only short-term validity.

On Mon, Jul 5, 2010 at 7:47 AM, Rachel Willmer <> wrote:
> Once you have started a continuous replication, is there a way to
> monitor that it is still running?
> For example, will it always be visible in _active_tasks even if there
> is no active replication occurring?
> Or is there a URL you can ping, passing on the _local_id which is
> given when you start the continuous replication?
> Or failing that, is there a URL on the couchdb server which returns
> when it was last restarted?
> Rachel

View raw message