From Jason Smith <...@couch.io>
Subject Re: scheduled tasks
Date Tue, 27 Jul 2010 06:27:55 GMT
On Tue, Jul 27, 2010 at 03:57, Nils Breunese <N.Breunese@vpro.nl> wrote:

> Python is a programming language, not a scheduler. (Although I'm sure there
> are scheduler libraries and things like that for Python.) What do you mean
> by 'works better than cron'? Yes, if you need sub-minute precision you'll
> need to look elsewhere since cron doesn't support that, but otherwise I
> wouldn't go and write code to do what a scheduler like cron already provides
> (and it's usually already running anyway).

I have worked a ton with cron as a sysadmin. I have also worked with
BackgrounDRb which FWIW I like.

People take for granted how hard it is to write a stable job runner. Cron is
ubiquitous and mature and well-understood by programmers and sysadmins.

The one thing against cron is that it is a little out-of-band from your
software's normal code. When installing, you have to remember to hook into
cron. Eventually all of my projects have dedicated code just to *install*
other code into cron.

Finally, the CouchDB _changes feed is not directly related to job scheduling
and periodic tasks. However it can be used to implement them. The
implementation (which, yes, I am writing up in the Couchio blog) is robust
for the same reason Erlang is robust: loosely-coupled components
independently send messages to each other.

--
Jason Smith
Couchio Hosting