From Karel Minařík <karel.mina...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: WillPaginate compatible pagination for CouchPotato views (Ruby)
Date Sat, 31 Jul 2010 08:54:24 GMT
> Jump to page is impractical at scale. You see that Gmail and Google
> search don't offer explicit jump-t0-page.

Indeed. Not everything needs to immediately "scale" on such level,
though. (I've noticed tolerable load time for values around
skip=5000.) Also, as noted, will_paginate (ie. the first-class drop-in
pagination for Rails apps) depends on "jump to page", unless I am
seriously mistaken.

> You can however, jump by natural key (so you can jump to May 5th, or
> whatever) which I think is more useful than jump to page 14.

Yes, that's a very good idea. Date, first letter of surname, etc. I
guess it would be possible to do it in will_paginate style. In an
ideal world, that's precisely what a Ruby gem for working with Couch
would provide out of the box.

Thanks!,

Karel