From Simon Metson <>
Subject Re: Would CouchDB and Views suitable for Raw sensor data?
Date Tue, 13 Jul 2010 08:08:21 GMT
	We're starting a project which aims to do similar things (store some
dimensions of a slope for a GPS location, possibly a photo too). We're
looking at geocouch for location indexing (,CouchDB,Python,geo

). If you can write something that will index your sensor data I'd say
this was a good fit, you might need to use a custom (i.e. not
javascript) view server, depending on what that data is.

On 13 Jul 2010, at 08:14, Charlie Chilton wrote:

> Hi,
> Recently I saw Aaron Miller has an Alpha of CouchDB running on
> Android, which has me very excited about the convergence of these two
> technologies.
> One project where CouchDB on Android could help us would be for the
> logging of Bluetooth sensor data (such as GPS, and other external
> sensors, such as Weather).
> CouchDB is appealing here because of its replication technology;
> sharing the sensors DB's to other Android Devices in the area and back
> to base over the mobile network would be great!
> After reading much about CouchDB, I was wondering if anyone could
> 'sanity check' the idea of putting raw sensor data into the Database,
> and then writing views to extract meaningful information from it.
> Some of the sensor data would be binary, while other stuff such as GPS
> would be text based NMEA strings. Regardless of the sensor data output
> type, each raw insertion into the database would be a complete
> 'sentence' of input, so the views would have something
> reliable/predictable to work on.
> The other option is to decode the sensor data prior to insertion, but
> this doesn't feel as fun!
> Any comments appreciated,
> Charlie

View raw message