From "Lowry, Matthew" <Matthew.Lo...@dsto.defence.gov.au>
Subject Can I get just the keys from a view? [SEC=UNCLASSIFIED]
Date Tue, 15 Jun 2010 02:26:45 GMT
Hi folks. A Couch newbie here with a question regarding the view API.

Is there any way that I can query a view and get just the key for each
row, and omit the value?

The reason I ask is I'm working with a view that generates a massive
amount of data - each document in the database generates many hundreds
of rows in the view. Each row has a large value object. But all I want
to do is get the keys. So it's wasting a massive amount of time and
resources, both client and server side, to have to pull both the key and
value object for every row in the view when all I want to see is the
key.

So is there actually a mechanism in the view API to pull just the key
from each row of a view? And if not, why not? That would be curiously
asymmetrical with the document API, which allows me to get the IDs of
all the documents without requesting the documents themselves.

Cheers.

IMPORTANT: This email remains the property of the Department of Defence and is subject to
the jurisdiction of section 70 of the Crimes Act 1914. If you have received this email in
error, you are requested to contact the sender and delete the email.