From Francesco Mazzoli <francesco.mazzol...@imperial.ac.uk>
Subject Re: Next and previous element.
Date Fri, 18 Jun 2010 16:54:27 GMT
This is exactly what I was trying to do, but with sequential ids (I
can't really use a timestamp since articles get accepted in groups, so
they end up having the same timestamp)
The problem is that I don't get the desired result.
For example now I am using this view (slug_by_time):
function(doc) {
    if (doc.type == 'Image' && doc.accepted) {
        emit(doc.id, {slug: doc.slug});
    }
}
And, having one id, I am making request like:
/troppotardi/_design/images/_view/slug_by_time?endkey=%2239f56554dba0e810d5a8d17225000f0f%22
to get the previous slugs and
/troppotardi/_design/images/_view/slug_by_time?endkey=%2239f56554dba0e810d5a8d17225000f0f%22
to get the next one, but it doesn't work...

-- Francesco

On 18 June 2010 15:27, J Chris Anderson <jchris@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Jun 18, 2010, at 5:31 AM, Francesco Mazzoli wrote:
>
>> This may be a simple question but I couldn't find a solution by myself.
>> I am coding a web application with pylons (pylonshq.com) and couchdb,
>> and I've stumbled upon a problem.
>> It's a blog, and I assign a slug to every article. I get the slug from
>> a get parameter in the address.
>> I would like, from that article, to get the next and the previous one.
>> I am using sequential uuids, and I've got this view slug_by_time that
>> returns the docs slugs with the ids as keys. In this way they are
>> ordered by time of creation.
>> The problem is that, having one id, I can't get the previous and next
>> element. My idea was simply to use the current id as startkey to find
>> the next one end endkey to find the previous one, but I get weird
>> results.
>
> if you store a timestamp on the item, you can have a view by timestamp and query with
limit 1 on each side of the known timestamp for next and previous.