From Randall Leeds <randall.le...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: business model / 'ER' help
Date Tue, 01 Jun 2010 03:39:54 GMT
The easiest thing in my mind would be to have a document for each
inventory item that contains its name and the store where it's in
stock.
This is actually kinda nice because it lets you track individual
instances of each item, like if you wanted to order the item to be
sent from one store to another you could modify the store property.

I think you can get away with only two map functions.
Make one map that emits a key like {[item, store]: item_id}. Call it
"items_by_name".
Another map emits keys like {[store, item]: item_id}. Call it "items_by_store".
Then all three of your questions are simple summation ({"reduce":
"_count"}) reductions.

1. _design/inventory/_view/items_by_name?group=true&group_level=1
2. _design/inventory/_view/items_by_name?group=true&group_level=2&startkey="[item_name]"&endkey="[item_name,
{}]"
3. _design/inventory/_view/items_by_store?group=true&group_level=2&startkey="[store_name]"&endkey="[store_name,
{}]"

I think this would work for you. You might need to url encode those keys.
The startkey and endkey parameters are chosen based on the collation
specification[1].

Happy map(-reduc)ing!
-Randall

[1] http://wiki.apache.org/couchdb/View_collation?action=show&redirect=ViewCollation#Collation_Specification