From Laura Hamel <lha...@soartech.com>
Subject automatic timestamps
Date Thu, 10 Jun 2010 14:34:10 GMT
Hey Couch-Users!

How do you guys handle timestamping documents?

I have seen some advice to generate the timestamps in the application.
However, this has the drawback that multiple applications touching the
same database may generate inconsistent timestamps.  Validation might be
able to reject updates when applications submit timestamps which are too
un-synchronized, but this seems like a weird way to solve the problem.
I found the documentation on using Document Update Handlers
(http://wiki.apache.org/couchdb/Document_Update_Handlers) however these
have to be triggered separately.  I'm also not clear on how to trigger
that update through jcouchdb.

Is there a way to trigger the timestamp to be added automatically when
the document is created?

Thanks,
Laura

--