From Markus Jelsma <markus.jel...@buyways.nl>
Subject RE: Re: CouchDB-lounge views
Date Wed, 12 May 2010 19:08:41 GMT
Of course, you are right. It was foolish of me to neglect plausible edge-cases as you describe.
And of course the CAP-theorem about eventuality instead of guaranteed results.

Thanks for stomping it in my head again, it was needed :)

-----Original message-----
From: Randall Leeds <randall.leeds@gmail.com>
Sent: Wed 12-05-2010 18:02
To: user@couchdb.apache.org; Markus Jelsma <markus.jelsma@buyways.nl>;
Subject: Re: CouchDB-lounge views

No. Nothing is totally guaranteed. Replication ensures that live nodes will eventually contain
all updates. If you write a document and the node that receives it goes down, a subsequent
view request will hit another replica which may not yet have the update.

This is true in any distributed database that does not commit changes to multiple replicas.

I've considered adding something like dynamo/riak/cassandra along the lines of R and W quorum
values for requests but right now a write will return as soon as the first couch responds
and lounge leaves it up to couchdb replication to ensure the other nodes holding that shard
eventually receive that update.