From Alexander Uvarov <alexander.uva...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: arguments for couchdb ?!
Date Thu, 13 May 2010 20:37:02 GMT

On 14.05.2010, at 2:16, c.Kleinhuis wrote:

> Alexander Uvarov schrieb:
>>
>> Good:
>>
>> 1. Schema-less is awesome for a lot of applications
>> 2. RESTful JSON store
>> 3. Document attachments
>> 4. Views are fast
>> 5. Full text search "out of the box" with couchdb-lucene
>>
>> Bad:
>>
>> 1. Does not support transactions and AFAIK there are no plans to directly support
transactional bulk document API

> this is handled via eventual consistency as far as i know, and will never be adressed
;)
> with the benefit of fast responses

Too brave. Things are not as simple as they seem.

>> 2. It's impossible to just say "update/delete all people where some field LIKE something",
but actually not a problem
> ok
>
> what about server configuration ? compared to mysql/hibernate/spring/java ?
> as far as i can tell for windows, it worked nicely with the installer, any known problems
> when setting up a server farm, or a single system ? ! i mean, how hard would it be for
> an advanced admin to set up a system with couchdb ?

It depends. But this kind of question should answer more experienced member. First of all,
I don't see any reasons to run couchdb on windows in production. It's pretty simple If you
are going to set up N nodes replicating to each other and run nginx on top of them. Packages
are available for Linux (both couch and erlang), also it's dead simple to build couchdb from
scratch.