From Wout Mertens <wout.mert...@gmail.com>
Subject Ars Technica finds DesktopCouch too laggy
Date Fri, 14 May 2010 12:43:51 GMT
Hi group,

I noticed with sadness the rather disappointing review of the DesktopCouch feature of Ubuntu
at Ars Technica:

http://arstechnica.com/open-source/reviews/2010/05/lucid-dream-ars-reviews-ubuntu-1004.ars/9

"The take-away point is that the amount of latency and CPU overhead that DesktopCouch introduces
is just not conducive to building responsive desktop applications that run on a wide range
of ordinary consumer hardware. In cases where the number of records is in the tens of thousands,
it's more sensible to use SQLite and use DesktopCouch only for the parts that need to be synchronized."

I wonder where the lag is introduced. DesktopCouch is, as I understand it, a Python API for
storing and synchronizing user data like settings and chat logs, using CouchDB as the backend.

Is CouchDB too slow to use on a desktop system as a desktop database?

Wout.