From Sebastian Cohnen <sebastiancoh...@googlemail.com>
Subject Re: Query about chef compaction - why would it fail silently?
Date Fri, 14 May 2010 10:28:36 GMT
hmm,

can you check if compaction is running? GET http://localhost:5984/chef/ should tell you with
the "compact_running"-field. Also check the _active_tasks endpoint for running compaction
tasks: GET http://localhost:5984/_active_tasks.

If compaction is not running, look for suspicious error messages in the log file (maybe on
debug-loglevel).

Please be aware that compacting 9GB can take some time...

On 14.05.2010, at 11:10, Chris Adams wrote:

> Thanks the reply Sebastian!
>
> I've since extended the drive to allow for a compaction, but calling _compact still doesn't
seem to start the compaction process:

> I've gisted the same system stats again below, it it helps:
>
> http://gist.github.com/400920
>
> Any other ideas?

> On 14 May 2010, at 09:40, Sebastian Cohnen wrote:
>
>> I hope couchdb is not at /dev/mapper/system-var :) you need some free space, because
couch is copying all the latest, non-conflicting documents over to a new file and afterwards
swaps out the old database file with the newly created one.

>> On 14.05.2010, at 10:00, Chris Adams wrote:
>>
>>> Hi there,
>>>
>>> I'm a little confused by the behaviour of couchdb's compact command, and I suspect
the solution is really quite simple, but I'm still new to couchdb, so please excuse the noobish
question:

>>> I'm trying to compact a 5.6gb couchdb database that's been generated by chef,
using this command:

>>> curl -X POST http://localhost:5984/chef/_compact
>>>
>>> However, when I check the status back, couch doesn't seem to be compacting:
>>>
>>> curl -X GET http://localhost:5984/chef/
>>>
>>> I'm following the insturctions here - http://wiki.apache.org/couchdb/Compaction

>>> Why might it not start compacting when I call the compact command like this?

>>> The VM that's running the couchdb database is almost at capacity disk space wise,
and I'm using couchdb version 0.10.0 (I've gisted this info here http://gist.github.com/400920,
and the output from the compact commands here )